Thursday, November 18, 2010

Homemade applesauce

Surprise, it's me! I am sooo far behind on posting, but I've been so busy recently there just hasn't been time for it. I have still been baking, though, so maybe eventually I'll get around to posting the recipes and photos from some of these ventures.

Originally I planned on doing my Vintage Recipe Thursday post today, but about two paragraphs in, I realized that I don't actually have the recipe with me...yep, that's a fail. I'm in Florida right now sibling-sitting while my dad and stepmom are out of the country, and though I considered bringing my little recipe book with me that contains all the family recipes, I ended up leaving it at home. What was I thinking? Not smart. But, nothing I can do about it tonight, so rather than posting a vintage family recipe, here's a super easy and incredibly yummy one that my brother and I used yesterday:

Homemade Applesauce

- 8 apples (peeled, cored, and sliced)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar (note: the original recipe called for 1/2 cup, but the apples I used were pretty sweet, so 1/4 cup was plenty)
- cinnamon to taste

James using this super cool, handy-dandy gadget that peels, cores, and slices the apples for you. Amazing.


1. Put the apples and water in a saucepan; cover and bring to a boil.


2. Let simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Stir in sugar; let dissolve.

4. Add cinnamon.


5. Mash/blend apples to desired consistency.


6. Serve warm or cold.


So delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment