Saturday, October 23, 2010

I know it's Saturday, but...

Whilst perusing various cooking blogs yesterday, I came across this fun idea:

Vintage Recipe Thursday (VRT) is meant to preserve your own original vintage family recipes, or out-of-print, copyright-free recipes from old cookbooks, magazines, newspapers or postcards.

Each Thursday, those who have joined this "blog community" post such recipes on their own blogs, as well as link to the Joy of Desserts vintage recipe post each week. Since, obviously, I love baking, and I also have quite a plethora of family recipes that have been passed down through the generations, I am quite excited to jump on this bandwagon and post a well-loved and memorable family recipe each week. So excited, in fact, that I'm cheating and starting today because I just don't want to wait 5 more days (patience, perhaps, is something I'm still learning!). So, here's my first contribution to Vintage Recipe Thursday, from a little cookbook my mom put together for me for my 18th birthday:


Apple Crisp
3-4 medium apples, sliced (I usually don't bother peeling them, but go ahead if you'd like!)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (if you want; this is my own recent addition to this recipe)
1 stick margarine


1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Place apple slices in 8 x 8 baking dish.


3. Sift together the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
4. Add margarine and crumble together until fairly well-mixed.


5. Sprinkle over apples.
6. Bake for 30 minutes.


And that's it! Super easy and super yummy! Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. love the fact that you add pictures for some of us that are not as gifted in the baking category.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the group, Beth, and thank you for participating in Vintage Recipe Thursday. I love apple crisps! YUM. How wonderful of your mom to take the time to prepare a little cookbook of her recipes for you. Great cover photo.

    ReplyDelete