Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Crumb-topped banana muffins

Recently, while searching for a new way to make use of the quite ripe bananas that frequently inhabit my kitchen (as I generally only eat the first half of each bunch that I buy and save the other few for baking purposes), I came across this fantastic recipe for crumb-topped banana muffins. It's fairly straight-forward but is very likely the best muffin recipe I've ever used, full of flavor and very moist.

This past weekend, I visited my grandparents in east Tennessee (and oh what a glorious time of year it is to be in this part of the country!). Upon walking into their kitchen, I was a tad bit excited to discover three very ripe bananas sitting there on the counter, just begging to be turned into a delightful little treat. How could I refuse? Especially since I got to use such cute utensils as these:


So I set to work, and within no time, the muffins were in the oven and the whole house was filled with a lovely aroma of banana and sugar and spice.


And, twenty minutes later, out of the oven they came, a fairly successful batch, if I do say so myself. However, the best part (for me, anyway) was packing several of these up and heading to the mountains to enjoy them along with the splendor of the magnificent fall afternoon that God gave us. Glorious, utterly glorious.


Anyway, whether or not you're able to get to the mountains to enjoy the lovely fall colors (which I highly recommend, if at all possible), perhaps you can at least make some yummy muffins and enjoy a beautiful sunrise/sunset wherever you are. So, grab some ripe bananas, and have fun!

Crumb-topped banana muffins
Yield: 12 muffins

1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 ripe bananas, mashed
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted
Topping:
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, to taste
1 tablespoon cold butter
1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)

1. In a large bowl, mix the first four ingredients.
2. In separate bowl, mix bananas, sugar, egg, and butter.
3. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture until just moistened.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. (If you don't use muffin cups, be sure to grease the muffin pan.)
5. Combine first three topping ingredients.
6. Cut in butter until crumbly.
7. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
8. Bake for 20 minutes, or until muffins test done.
9. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. These look delicious! I'm so glad you sound like you're enjoying yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete