Sunday, October 10, 2010

Not really sure what I'm getting myself into, but...

...here goes nothing! I certainly would not consider myself either a baker or a cook, though I do indeed enjoy both baking and cooking. One of my earliest and favorite memories from childhood is of baking cookies with my mom; I vividly remember standing on a chair so I could reach the counter as she taught little ol' me how to measure out flour for whatever we were baking.


Clearly I also enjoyed licking the bowl afterwards... Ok, fine, I'll admit that I still do (though thankfully these days I'm a little less messy in so doing)!

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure at this moment what direction this blog is going to go; the primary purpose here initially is to post recipes of the various items I've made for work over the past week. Beyond that, we'll see. And, an additional disclaimer besides the fact that I am merely an amateur baker/cook at best, I also am not in the least a photographer (though my brother is!), so I apologize in advance for the not-so-great photos that correspond with the recipes.

But, that said, here's to many more hours in the kitchen, "trying new recipes, learning from my mistakes, being fearless, and having fun!" And for starters, here's a recipe I came across on someone else's blog last week, which I made with, I think, decent results:

Chocolate Peanut Butter Marbled Banana Bread


2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup semi or dark chocolate chips
1/3 cup peanut butter chips
2 medium bananas, mashed
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9-inch loaf pan.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; whisk in chocolate and peanut butter chips until combined. In a large mixing bowl, using a mixer on medium speed, beat together banana and peanut butter until creamy, about 1 minute; beat in granulated sugar and brown sugar until creamy, about 1 minute. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually beat in flour mixture, alternating with milk, until well combined - about 2 minutes.

Divide half of the batter into medium bowl; sift in cocoa powder, and beat until combined. Alternate spoonfuls of banana batter and chocolate batter into the pan. When all the batter is in the pan, swirl a knife sparingly through the batters to marble them. Sprinkle with additional chocolate and peanut butter chips, if desired.

Bake for 60-65 minutes or until bread pulls away from pan, is well risen, deep golden brown, and a toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs attached. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; run a knife around outer edges and invert onto wire rack to cool completely before slicing.

Makes 6-8 servings

Happy baking!

4 comments:

  1. This is really exciting! For starters-WAY cute blog, for seconders, way delicious-looking bread, and for lasters, what a great way to record your adventures, (dare I say?) mishaps and successes!

    Love you!
    Everly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, go right ahead and say mishaps, because there are always plenty of them! (*sigh*) Oh well, c'est la vie!

    Love you too, beautiful Everly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the blogging world. You are off to a great start. :-)

    ReplyDelete